Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings – Austin, TX
Wise Decision to Prioritize Your Oral Health
Even though dental checkups and teeth cleanings are one of the most well-known reasons to visit your dentist, some people may not realize why they matter so much. Oral health problems like tooth decay and gum disease tend to be difficult for you to notice early on in their development. Being proactive about discovering and treating these issues can save you a lot of time and money over the long haul. While brushing and flossing at home is crucial, it alone is not quite enough to keep your smile as healthy as possible. It’s a wise decision to prioritize your oral health, and an essential part of that is to schedule a dental checkup in Austin every six months with us here at the office of Dr. Molly Burton. Keep reading to learn more or call us to schedule an appointment!
Why Choose Magnolia Family Dentistry For Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings?
- Experienced And Friendly Dentist
- Ask About First Visit Special Offer
- Dental Insurance Or Flexible Financing
Why Are Regular Dental Checkups & Cleanings Important?
When your mouth feels fine, it may be tempting to skip out on your dental visit. But it’s just not worth the risk. A cleaning will remove plaque that could eventually cause a cavity. More importantly, the preventive dentistry exam may detect a cavity that needs treatment before you require a root canal and crown. The good news is dental insurance nearly always covers two checkups and cleanings per year, while fillings and other restorative procedures may only be partially covered.
Also, consider that routine dental visits can prevent dental emergencies such as throbbing toothaches. Poor oral health is linked to overall health issues like heart disease and diabetes, so simply undergoing two quick dental visits per year really can be a time, money, and pain-saving decision.
What to Expect During a Dental Checkup
As part of a dental checkup, your dentist in Austin and her staff will:
- Visually examine your teeth, gums, existing dental work, and overall bite.
- Screen the soft tissues in your mouth for oral cancer.
- Take X-rays (usually once per year) to detect problems under the surface.
- Create a treatment plan if any issues are spotted.
- Answer any questions you may have about treatment or at-home oral care.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
Aspects of a teeth cleaning in Austin include:
- The dental hygienist uses special instruments to remove plaque and tartar that have built up on and between your teeth and along your gumline. This reduces your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and chronic bad breath.
- Your teeth will be polished which can clear away minor surface stains.
- Your teeth will also be flossed.
- Fluoride treatment is available after the cleaning to strengthen enamel and prevent future tooth decay.